Teaching certification reciprocity for military spouses approved

Lawmakers passed a bill March 25 intended to speed the issuance of teaching certificates to military spouses.

Sen. Rita Sanders
Sen. Rita Sanders

LB389, introduced by Bellevue Sen. Rita Sanders at the request of Gov. Pete Ricketts, requires the State Board of Education to issue a certificate or permit to a military spouse who, among other requirements, holds a valid certificate or permit currently in force in another state to teach, administer or provide special services.

An applicant also must have held the certificate or permit for at least one year, be in good standing in all states where the certificate or permit is held, have no pending investigations or complaints, meet all residency and background check requirements and pay applicable fees.

Under LB389, the certificate or permit for a military spouse is valid for at least three years and includes the same or similar endorsements to teach in all subject areas for which the applicant had been certified in the other state if Nebraska offers a similar endorsement.

The bill also requires the board to regulate and expedite the processing of applications submitted by an individual whose spouse is serving on active duty.

LB389 passed on a vote of 46-0.

Bookmark and Share