Athletic trainer scope of practice expanded
Senators made a number of changes to the scope of practice of licensed athletic trainers in Nebraska April 12.
LB436, introduced by Sen. Ben Hansen of Blair, expands permitted activities under the Athletic Training Practice Act to include:
• injury prevention and wellness promotion;
• examination, assessment and medical opinion;
• health care administration;
• therapeutic modalities;
• therapeutic intervention or rehabilitation of injuries and illnesses; and
• immediate emergency care including administration of emergency drugs prescribed by a physician.
Under the bill, athletic trainers cannot use joint manipulation or joint cavitation or prescribe medications but may employ “dry needling.”
Lawmakers passed LB436 on a 45-0 vote.