Constitutional officer salary increases proposed
Published February 14, 2013
The Government, Military and Veterans Affairs Committee heard testimony Feb. 13 on a bill that would increase salaries for the state’s constitutional officers.
LB217, introduced by Lincoln Sen. Bill Avery, proposes salaries increases:
• from $105,000 to $126,000 for governor;
• from $95,000 to $114,000 for attorney general;
• from $85,000 to $102,000 for secretary of state;
• from $85,000 to $102,000 for state treasurer;
• from $85,000 to $102,000 for auditor of public accounts;
• from $75,000 to $90,000 for lieutenant governor; and
• from $75,000 to $90,000 for members of the Public Service Commission.
Avery said the proposed increases would mean a 20 percent pay raise for constitutional officers.
“This [raise] might seem large,” he said, “but I would remind you that eight years is a long time to go without a pay increase.”
No testimony was offered on the bill and the committee took no immediate action on it.